The MQN office environment offers a vibrant and friendly place for staff to work and create. We have a new ‘campfire-style’ staff lounge with Wi-Fi and cable. Also, we often host light-hearted and fun events that promote team building and interpersonal relationships. For example, a group of staff attends PIYO (pilates-yoga) weekly; we have been known in our neighborhood for having tailgate barbeque parties; and we even have a scavenger hunt in the works! Additionally, we have monthly Lunch & Learns, REVIT sessions, and BIM presentations to help staff continue to build upon their knowledge. We also hold ‘Treat Tuesdays,’ beach volleyball teams, ‘spa days’ and ‘girls’ nights,’ and most importantly we try to foster a supportive work environment where we honor each other’s accomplishments and offer a sense of community during life events.
It is our mission to design innovative environments that foster growth, sustainability, accessibility, health, and wellness and contribute to their surrounding communities. In order to do this, we cultivate an office environment that is open and collaborative— allowing our staff to learn and capture the creative spirit that is needed for original and environmentally thoughtful design. The MQN office has a friendly and bright atmosphere with helpful and considerate staff. It is this environment that largely helps foster our unabridged creative flow when working on a project.
Friday All-Office Sandbox
An example of our collaborative and creative efforts is the nearly launched ‘Friday Sandbox’. One Friday afternoon each month starting in 2015 we will collaborate at an all-office open forum to stimulate our creative juices and learn from each other. The intent of these sessions is to make every project the best it can be for our clients—bringing together our collective genius with varying perspectives. We plan to focus on one project per session and have project leads present the details of the challenges and potential solutions.
Contractors and Artists
MQN greatly values the relationships we develop with creative-minded people in our community. Our firm works with some of the finest artists, designers, and specialized contractors in our area to ensure success in each of our projects. Some of these specialized aspects within projects include: art installations, metal fabrication, custom furniture, signage, branding, marketing, and website development.
Our project work is not the only way in which we build communities. MQN supports not-for-profit organizations through donations, volunteering, and pro-bono work. Our vibrant presence in the community contributes to advancements in the areas of arts and culture, medical research, education, healthcare, and community outreach programs.
MQN and its staff have sponsored, made donations, hosted various charity events, and been involved in the following:
- Brian Quiring is an active City Counselor for the City of Vernon
- Vicki Topping is an active Rotary Club member
- Jay Gillman is an active member of the Vernon Public Art Gallery
- Big Brother Big Sisters of the Okanagan – The Keg fundraising event
- Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police
- Canadian Cancer Society – Tulip Campaign
- Canadian Fallen Firefighters – Red Ribbon Sponsor
- Center for Arts and Technology – Instructed courses in the Interior Design Program and Donated samples to their Design Library
- CIBC run for the cure in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation – Team Entry
- City Dance Studio – Gold Sponsorship
- Classrooms for a Cause: Project Nepal – Buy a Brick campaign
- Downtown Vernon Association – Downtown After 5 Event
- Federation of Canadian Artists – Gold Sponsorship
- Food Banks of Canada – Yearly Food Drive Baskets
- Habitat for Humanity – Donation
- IWEN: Inter-cultural Women’s Education Network – Silent Auction Donation
- Metis Elders for New Horizons Society – Fundraising Drive
- North Okanagan Therapeutic Riding Association – Donation
- North Okanagan Youth and Family Services Society – Sponsor a Family at Christmas
- Okanagan Boys & Girls Clubs – Donation
- Okanagan College Foundation – Sponsor a Hole Event
- Okanagan Science Centre – Wall of Flame
- The Drug and Addiction Magazine Ltd. – Donation
- The Salvation Army – Donation
- United Way – Gold Sponsor
- Variety Children’s Charity – Donation
- Vernon Community Music School – Scholarship Donation
- Vernon Jubilee Hospital – Healing Hands Handbook
- Vernon Public Arts Gallery – Sponsored events
- Vernon Therapeutic Riding Association – Donation
- Wine, Women & Woods Charity Golf Tournament – Team Entry
Being able to offer mentorship and internship opportunities is an integral part of MQN’s office culture. We offer opportunities to a variety of students enrolled in post-secondary programs across Canada. These internships are paid positions and our goal is to provide the student with hands on practice in all facets of our industry.