MQN is offering a permanent full-time Office Administrator / Receptionist position within the firm. Applicant must be positive, outgoing, organized, self-motivated, efficient, creative, and detail oriented. Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and the Internet is required. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator or InDesign is an asset. This position requires an individual with excellent spelling and grammar skills, proficient typing, and neat printing. Candidate must work well under the pressure of deadlines, possess the ability to prioritize, and be able to handle frequent interruptions. The ideal applicant will be a team player and have a neat, professional appearance, and be extremely organized.
Overall Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Greet Clients and offer them a beverage
- Operate multi-line switchboard – transfer calls, voicemail, etc.
- Handle incoming and outgoing correspondence – mail, couriers, mailing invoices, etc.
- Faxing, scanning, photocopying, filing, and archiving
- Database management (via Traffic)
- Spreadsheet Maintenance – i.e. the active project list, Work In Progress Report
- Schedule Meetings and coordinate meetings (via Outlook meeting calendar and desk calendar)
- Travel Coordination – booking flights, hotels, rental vehicles, and printing itineraries
- Typing letters, meeting minutes, site inspections, site reviews, and editing specifications
- Filling out forms for municipal building application requirements (BCBC Schedules, Development Permits, Building Permits, and other miscellaneous schedules)
- Creating PowerPoint Presentations (as required)
- Event coordination – birthday cards, office parties, catering for meetings, and ‘Lunch & Learns’
- Create monthly MQN Newsletter – a fun way to communicate with staff about upcoming events, new projects etc.
- Errands include: bank deposits, grocery shopping (coffee, cream, fruit, sugar etc.), catering pick up.
- Ordering printer toner when we are low
- Maintenance of office supplies inventory including ordering of office supplies from Corbett’s
- Creating project folders, project e-mail folders on Outlook, updating project list, and inputting into Traffic
- Gathering, rolling, and couriering tender sets of drawings along with specifications for projects
- During tender, keeping track of deposit cheques and drawing set numbers and contractor’s contact information
- Prepare bank deposits and photocopy cheques that do not have a cheque stub and give to Accounts Manager
- Return receipts from purchases you have made to the appropriate folder (Payables Miscellaneous, Visa Payments, or Petty Cash)
Salary and Benefits:
- Wage is negotiable based on years of experience and extent of skills
- Paid, on the job training will be offered. Formal training will be involved at the onset of the position as every position and company has such particulars that we do not expect anyone to walk in and be comfortable to ‘run with it’ without a formal introduction.
- All new employees will be reviewed after 3 months of service and if passed probation will be lifted. All new employees are paid during first 3-month probation period.
- MQN has a health benefits plan which after 3 months’ probation is cleared you will be added to the plan
- MQN offers RRSP contributions to match up to $50 employee match per month
- Secured parking spot provided
Apply in person at
3313 32nd Ave.,
Vernon, BC V1T 2M7
or email your resume to
About the Firm:
MQN is an Architectural and Interior Design firm, comprised of MQN Architects and MQN Interiors companies. We are located in Vernon, British Columbia and are considered one of the largest architectural firms in the BC Interior, and we are involved in projects across Canada. MQN Architects was founded in 1987 under Robert McDonell and is currently directed by two partners; Brian Quiring and Vicki Topping, who are Registered Architects. MQN Interiors is directed by Brian, Vicki and Dora Anderson, who is a Registered Interior Designer. Our firm offers a complete range of architectural and interior design services from; feasibility studies, capital planning, project identification reports, development consulting, LEED consulting, documentation, and the management of complex construction projects. Our goal has always been to develop and maintain a diverse portfolio. We have developed expertise in Commercial, Retail, Education, Recreation, Healthcare, Civic, Religious, Single Family and Multi-Family Residential Sectors. The key to our success is that we put people at the heart of our practice and buildings. The environments we create are a distinguished reflection of the collaboration between our clients and the wealth of knowledge and skills of our dynamic team of professionals. They echo our reputation for an un-paralleled high level of quality and service. It is our mission to design innovative environments that foster growth, sustainability, accessibility, health, wellness and contribute to their surrounding communities.
Our Team and our Culture:
With our team of 20 staff ranging from Registered Architects, Registered Interior Designers, Technologists, Technicians, Construction Contract Administrators, Specification Writers, LEED AP’s, and Administrative staff each project is valued with the diverse experience our team encompasses. The MQN office environment offers a vibrant and friendly place for staff to work and create. We have a new ‘campfire-style’ staff lounge with Wi-Fi and cable. We are a strong believer in team and personal development and have a yearly budget assigned to helping staff attain their professional goals through training and exams out of house. Additionally, we have monthly in-house Lunch & Learns, REVIT sessions, and BIM presentations to help staff continue to build upon their knowledge and skills. Also, we often host light-hearted and fun events that promote team building and interpersonal relationships. For example, a group of staff attends PIYO (Pilates-yoga) weekly; we have been known in our neighborhood for having tailgate BBQ parties; themed in-house events, family pool parties; scavenger hunts, summer beach volleyball team; and various holiday celebrations throughout the year. We also hold ‘Treat Tuesdays,’ beach volleyball teams, ‘spa days’ and ‘girls’ nights,’ and most importantly we try to foster a supportive work environment where we honor each other’s career and family accomplishments and offer a sense of community during life events. We pride ourselves on having a very family oriented team and a work environment that supports a healthy work/life balance. It is our mission to design innovative environments that foster growth, sustainability, accessibility, health, and wellness and contribute to their surrounding communities. In order to do this, we cultivate an office environment that is open and collaborative— allowing our staff to learn and capture the creative spirit that is needed for original and environmentally thoughtful design. The MQN office has a friendly and bright atmosphere with helpful and considerate staff. It is this environment that largely helps foster our unabridged creative flow when working on a project. Compared to other industry competitors we offer our staff favorable salaries and health benefits.